Sunday, March 30, 2014

Poon Choi - Plate Version

A friend of mine send me this photo after her recent Guangzhou tour.  I find it really interesting and would like to share it here.

I remember some years back I had an article about Poon Choi in Hong Kong.  This has become one of the most popular posts in this blog.  While many of you are interested in this traditional Hong Kong Cantonese cuisine, I'm sure you would find this Guangzhou Cantonese plate version of Poon Choi attractive.

While Poon Choi has everything served in a giant bowl, this plate version has everything served in a giant plate.  How giant?  My friend told me it was brought to the table by four people.  The dish was cooked to the number of people, so this plate is good for 10 people. 

Poon Choi - Plate Version
 (photo taken from Guangzhou)

I've counted there were 11 courses, namely

  1. shrimps
  2. scallops
  3. mini abalone
  4. clams
  5. a whole fish
  6. lotus
  7. taro
  8. green beans
  9. roast chicken
  10. roast duck
  11. stir fried noodle

I didn't tasted it, so I had no idea about how delicious it was.  But the presentation was really magnificent!  If I were to comment, I would love to have more greens.  As counting in the stir fried noodle, there were only 4 non-meat items, may need a better balance between meat and vegetables.

No comments: